Monday, May 2, 2011

seared scallops with lemon aioli

Searing scallops is most definitely an art. I have unsuccessfully tried searing them myself, and no matter how much I pat them dry, they seem to end up "boiling" in the pan and I cannot seem to get the caramelized, crispy brown top and bottom.

I had Jeff take over this time and he perfected them with such ease. He's convinced you need a combination of olive oil and butter at just the right heat. I had originally tried with just olive oil and it didn't work for me. Now, I think I have the secret for next time.

We bought the Costco frozen scallops in a bag. They were delicious. And, even better with the lemon aioli. We served them with grilled filet mignon and veggies. The aioli was also a nice complement to our side of vegetables - roasted potatoes and haricot verts. Enjoy.


Seared Scallops

Fresh or frozen & thawed scallops (patted completely dry)
Butter
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Cracked Black Pepper

Heat stainless steel skillet over med-high heat and melt about 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil in the pan, until hot, but not smoking. Season scallops with salt & pepper. Sear scallops in pan, uncovered for 2-3 minutes per side (or until caramelized brown on top and bottom and cooked through.) Be careful not to overcook, as the scallops will get rubbery. Serve hot with lemon aioli.


Lemon Aioli

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives (or red onion)

Whisk ingredients together until mixed well.

No comments:

Post a Comment