Tuesday, February 22, 2011

creamed spinach

My sister Kortney's boyfriend, Kai and his recipe for creamed spinach. I trust my sister's recipe recommendations, hands down. Made this tonight and was instantly in love. It all started with the aroma of sauteed bacon, onion & garlic. Amazing flavors infused into otherwise ordinary spinach.

Spinach has many health benefits, some are:

1. low in calories, high in vitamins
2. cancer-reducing antioxidants
3. improves cardiovascular health
4. improves brain function, protects against aging

I'm always looking for ways to add color to my plate - or more importantly, vegetables. And, my husband absolutely loves spinach, so must add to my blog.

Enjoy.

Creamed Spinach
makes 4 - 6 servings

2 pkgs. (10 oz. each) frozen, chopped spinach (thawed & drained) - I used fresh spinach
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
2 cups milk

Drain spinach well and squeeze out excess moisture with hands; chop finely (or leave spinach leaves whole) and set aside.

Fry bacon in heavy skillet until crisp; remove from heat. (I used a wok to accommodate the quantity of fresh spinach.)


Saute onion and garlic in bacon drippings; add flour, seasoned salt and pepper and blend thoroughly. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add spinach and bacon.


Stir occasionally and heat through. Serve.

1 comment: