Saturday, February 26, 2011

kortney's chile con queso dip

This queso recipe has sort of evolved over time, and continues to increase in intensity each time I make it. When my sister started making it, I couldn't handle the heat. We always had to make two separate batches - how lame was I? Anyways, now my craving for spice and heat is up to par with the rest of my family.

There are many variations you can add to change it up each time. Note: be careful handling the peppers with your hands. You don't want to end up touching your eyes after dicing them. Another Note: this is the one and only time I eat Velveeta. Not a big fan of processed cheese food otherwise. I'm just sayin...

Here is the basic recipe:

2-3 jalapeno peppers, diced
2-3 seranno peppers, diced
1 anaheim pepper, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans Rotel (tomatoes & green chiles)
3/4 - 1 log of Velveeta cheese, cubed
olive oil for sauteeing peppers & onions

Saute peppers and onions in olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Once soft, add Rotel and cubed cheese and melt over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Once heated through, remove from heat and serve with tortilla chips.

Variations:

If you're really into heat, add a diced habanero pepper.

To make it more of a "meal," add a pound of cooked and crumbled hamburger or I've also done cooked chorizo sausage - it adds a nice change of spice. And, Trader Joes has a good soy chorizo. You can't tell the difference between the real stuff.

My sister likes to add 3/4 to a can of beer, sort of adds that "beer cheese soup" flavor. She also likes to add cilantro and cumin.

My suggestion is to experiment and find your best mix of flavors. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all of the sweet comments! :)

    Ohhh chili queso...gotta love it! I have to give props to my amazing friend/fellow "foodie" Catherine Lauderback for that one as well as many others!

    ReplyDelete