Sunday, February 27, 2011

the perfect cup

I admit, I'm a coffee snob. For someone who only started drinking coffee after getting married (almost 13 years ago), I've quickly acquired a discerned palate for a "proper" cup of coffee. It's funny how my preferences have evolved, really. When I tried my first cup of Starbucks, I couldn't handle what I thought at the time to be a STRONG cup of coffee. If I only knew then what I know now.

Bear with me for a moment while I reminisce...I remember waking up to the smell of coffee when I was younger and living at home. What was so special about that smell? I mysteriously wondered (as my own kids do today), what was so fabulous about that cup of steeping hot liquid? The aroma of coffee meant my parents were up and starting their day. During the work week, my dad would come down the steps in his suit and tie, faint smell of his cologne, ready to enjoy a cup of coffee before he headed out the door. He may have also had a bowl of corn flakes with sliced bananas and strawberries or a slice of peanut butter and jam toast.

On the weekends, my parents would be in their robes, drinking their coffee, reading the newspaper and enjoying that peaceful time before everyone awoke. I can so appreciate those moments myself, now. The beauty of a quiet moment while everyone is still asleep. The weekends usually meant a trip to the Donut Hole in Bismarck. I can still taste the old fashioned sour cream doughnuts. We used to stick them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up. MMMM. Delish. Coffee was always a part of my parents' morning, whether it be during the week, on the weekends, while camping or a family hotel stay. Thanks for the great morning traditions you created for us, mom & dad.

I love coffee - it brings people to the table, it encourages conversation and it makes my morning. Jeff and I have always bought whole bean coffee and we grind it fresh every morning. I prefer the dark roast. And, I make it just like the package says....this one's for you dad!


My "proper" cup of coffee has to be made like the package says, served with raw cane sugar (or agave nectar) and most definitely, a hefty helping of half and half or the more indulgent heavy whipping cream. mmmmmm. Sometimes a dash of cinnamon is great. Oh, and it must be steeping hot - forget lukewarm. Call me a snob, but I like my coffee how I like it. As this package says, "Adjust to taste. Experiment. Only you know how you like your coffee." Well stated.


How beautiful is that?


Cup of the morning to ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment