Monday, April 4, 2011

rural banana bread

We always have plenty of bananas around our house. Once the peels get brown spots, the bananas are usually a little too ripe for me to eat, but perfect for a few good loaves of banana bread. I like a recipe from my grandma Irene's cookbook titled - "Washington Lutheran Church, Rural Northwood, North Dakota." She had this recipe marked (among many others), but I've continued to use this one, as it hasn't failed me. Anything from rural North Dakota is a winner in my opinion, but I am a fellow North Dakotan myself. I like to top my loaves with pecans, as they become nutty and toasted while baking. You can also mix them in the batter or add other things like chocolate chips - or not. My kids prefer the plain jane version - no additions whatsoever.


Banana Bread
(recipe of Mrs. Jerry Mandt from the 1982 Washington Lutheran Church, Northwood, ND cookbook)


2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
dash salt
1/2 c butter (room temperature)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. flour
3 bananas, mashed
Any add-ins as desired - i.e. pecans, chocolate chips

(I top batter with pecans before baking)

Batter can be divided among two smaller loaf pans or one larger loaf pan.

Mix ingredients well and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until done. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment