Tuesday, April 12, 2011

scandinavian almond cake

Mmmm... good... celebrating my Norwegian heritage with this one. Now, I must learn to make lefse.



You need a special pan for this one. I had Jeff get mine at a Scandinavian gift shop (even though the pan itself was made and manufactured in Germany - it's called rehruckenform, and looks like a ridged log.)



Note to self - you must follow recipe and be sure it stays in the oven long enough. First time I made it, I thought it was golden brown on the edges, but it was not baked in the middle. Ugh. I was so frustrated.

But, I am stubborn and determined, so I baked another one about a week later. This time, left in the oven for about an additional 15 minutes and it turned out much better. All was gobbled up within a couple of days.

Scandinavian Almond Cake

Spray pan with cooking spray.

1 1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
2/3 c. milk

Beat these ingredients well.

Add the following:
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Add:
1 stick margarine (I was told I must use margarine and not butter, but at some point, I may try butter. I'm not much a fan of vegetable oil spread.)

Mix everything well.

Spread in prepared pan. (Before adding batter, you can also sprinkle sliced almonds on the bottom...) Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes. Edges must be golden brown.

Cool in pan before removing. Cake will break if removed too soon. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or make almond frosting/glaze to drizzle on top. (Check out the almond puff pastry recipe, which has an almond frosting that would work.)

Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment