Friday, April 22, 2011

sloppy joes

My kids LOVE sloppy joe night. I don't have a recipe for them, but usually throw similar ingredients together and it seems to turn out about the same each time. I like various versions of sloppy joes - sweet, spicy and the one that has the chicken gumbo soup in it.


Here's the one I usually make:

Sloppy Joes

1 - 2 lbs. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
Salt & pepper

Brown ground beef with onion & green pepper and salt/pepper until beef is cooked through and the vegetables become soft.

I usually open my spice cabinet, which looks like this:
and I start adding whatever looks interesting.

Add about 1/2 tsp. each of garlic powder, coriander, onion powder. I sometimes add mustard seed. Can also add dash of crushed red pepper. Add about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup ketchup and a couple of tablespoons yellow mustard. Also add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and let everything simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes. Serve on buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment