Thursday, March 31, 2011

creme brulee

"I think every woman should have a blowtorch." - Julia Child

Indeed, Julia's right. The first time I tried creme brulee, I was in love. The crispy, caramelized top is my favorite part of the dessert - a magical outcome of sugar and a kitchen torch. The creamy goodness below is just as divine.

Using my kitchen torch is likely the most controlled use of fire I'll ever experience in my lifetime. And, I feel so powerful - that's what I'm talkin' about.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do...

Creme Brulee
recipe & photo courtesy of Williams Sonoma


Ingredients:
1/2 vanilla bean
2 cups heavy cream
3 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup plus 4 Tbs. sugar

Directions:
Preheat an oven to 300°F. Have a pot of boiling water ready. Line a baking pan that is 2 to 3 inches deep with a small kitchen towel.

Using a paring knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise down the middle and scrape the seeds into a 2-quart saucepan. Add the cream, stir to mix and set the pan over medium-low heat. Warm the cream until bubbles form around the edges of the pan and steam begins to rise from the surface. Remove from the heat and set aside to steep, about 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, salt and the 1/4 cup sugar until smooth and blended. Gradually add the cream to the egg mixture, whisking until blended. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl. Divide the custard among four 5- or 6-oz. ramekins and place the ramekins in the prepared baking pan. Add boiling water to fill the pan halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil and bake until the custard is just set around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes.

Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.

Just before serving, sprinkle 1 Tbs. of the sugar evenly over each custard. Using a kitchen torch, melt the sugar according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. Creme brulee....one of my favorite desserts! I've had it at the Priogue Grille in Bismarck, ND where they sometimes add various spices, like ginger, to the sugar and it gives it a whole new dimension. --Kimm

    ReplyDelete