Friday, March 4, 2011

milkshakes made your way

family traditions - milkshakes, movies and popcorn, oh my.

Our Friday evenings are usually reserved for family movie nights. Redbox movies, homemade popcorn (the shake your pan over the stove kind) and milkshakes - which involve taking orders like a short order cook. Everyone with unique requests. We don't mess around when it comes to milkshakes at the Kanwischers. I'm just sayin'...

My husband's usually the "maker of shakes." His technique varies - sometimes using our trusty blender and other times, hand-mixing each individually. Can't you just feel the love?

1. Jeff likes a chocolate malt - vanilla ice cream, milk, not much chocolate, but definitely malt powder, and a little runny. Served with a spoon. Note: It must sit unattended for a few minutes first.

2. Tenley likes a butterscotch shake - no malt powder for me, a little butterscotch syrup, milk and vanilla ice cream. Must be served with a straw in a plastic or chilled aluminum cup. Consumed while cold and frozen (No glass for me. I have a theory that glass melts ice cream too fast. Just call me particular or an experienced milkshake kind of girl. I've had many a milkshake in my 34 years, so yes, I'm entitled to my opinion) That's how I like my milkshake...that's how I roll.

3. Brendan likes a chocolate butterscotch vanilla shake - vanilla ice cream with both chocolate and butterscotch syrup, milk and a dash of vanilla extract. Served with a straw. (Phew... and I thought I was picky...)

4. Clare likes a chocolate butterscotch shake - vanilla ice cream with both chocolate and butterscotch syrup, milk, whipped cream on top and sometimes, a maraschino cherry. Served with a straw.

5. Dane prefers a bowl of vanilla ice cream with whipped cream and 2-3 maraschino cherries on top. Served with a spoon.

6. Eleanor likes milkshakes and vanilla ice cream with whipped cream. Served with a spoon and LOTS of napkins or wet wipes.

Everyone gets settled in with their shakes and popcorn and it's movie time. Although, we're missing the set of red velvet curtains to introduce the movie, we can skip the previews, sit back, relax and not have to worry about the person behind us kicking the seats.

It's our family night the kids look forward to all week. And, I'll hang on to it for as long as I can...

1 comment: