Friday, March 18, 2011

decadent caramel pecan brownies

I've been looking online for Byerly's killer brownie recipe forever. They are divine. Not having any luck, I stumbled across this recipe. With caramel, semisweet chocolate chunks, cocoa powder, pecans, butter, eggs and sugar, it sounded like a winner. And, each new dessert I bake in my test kitchen should add experience and help me improve my "less than average" baking repertoire, right? As a side note, I will say that parchment paper is a saving grace for baked goods.


I also have to say, I was pretty impressed with this one. Not sure I should have made two batches (one, a practice round for home, and two, the real deal.) And, I'm not sure that my 6 week abs video will come through for me now. I guess instead it may just take 7 weeks, especially after nibbling on a few of these...anyways...

I served this for a staff appreciation luncheon at my kids' school. I cut them into bite-size pieces and placed them in small white paper cups, which seemed to work well (being they're so rich), and they were gone when I picked up my dishes from school. Hopefully, that was a good sign.

Enjoy.

Caramel Pecan Brownies


Makes 2 dozen brownies.

1 package (14 ounces) caramels
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 package (11 1/2 or 12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks, divided use
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided use
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

To prepare oven, baking pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 12-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray. (I lined mine with parchment paper with extra on the ends so I could lift the brownies out to cut them.)

To melt caramels: In 3-quart sauce-pan, heat caramels and milk over low heat, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted and smooth.

To make batter: In 2-quart sauce-pan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, vanilla and eggs until well blended. Stir in flour, cocoa and salt. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks and 1 cup pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment